Friday, June 5, 2009

David Sweetland Hall

I still frequently have people stop, call or e-mail me who think the school will reopen. When I tell people that all the buildings are in bad shape and need lots ans lots work people often think I’m over reacting.

Anyway the other day I was looking through some old photos I have from when I worked at SJ and I came across these photos taken during the summer of 2004. These are before we did repair work on the West 100 shower room. This damage was done from water leaking into the walls and floor in the showers. This damage was done because of poor construction techniques. Keep in mind that there are 7 more shower rooms in Sweetland Hall and I can tell you that all of them have similar damage. The last time I crawled under South 100 during the summer of 07 the rot looked this bad or worse. In fact in 2007 there was a hole all the way through the exterior wall big enough to put my hand through. So, I think I can safely assume that the inside of the South 100 wall looks worse than what you see in the posted photos.








In the top photo VIM Vern Boyer shows the rot after he pulled off the siding and sheeeting on the exterior wall. In the 2nd photo you can see how rotted the floor joist that are under the shower room. And in the 3rd photo you can see the damge done by ants.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Marcel, Would u know the status of the day care bldg these days. Dan keeps us posted on the hatchery, but nothing gets said at day care- thanx

Anonymous said...

The Day care center is operating by a newly formed non-profit. Most of the staff is still there. They have done a great job keeping the place open and providing high quality care.

Marcel L said...

I could not have said it better. Kudos go to Lolly Miller for the great job she has done keeping the Childcare Center going. I did talk to Lolly the other day and she said it has been very stressful, but that things are looking up. I can tell you I have extreme admiration for what Dan and Lolly have done under less than desirable circumstances.